Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Assessment

1) What is your reaction to the text you just read?
Upon first reading "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?" it set up a tone that was extremely different to the other Superman comics I've read.  It set up a sense of dread and turned out to be a lot more grittier than I anticipated. Recounting the days leading up to Superman's time of "Death" was jarring and sort of hard to wrap my head around at first. But it's because of this massive tone shift that it actually interested me more than I would the other comics. It was a fresh new look at the man of steel. One of which you wouldn't really think about because of the abilities this man offers. You wouldn't really thing about his death much less the days leading up to it. 

2) What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to correct.
Despite the superhero antics and the fantastic abilities, this is the story of a dying man. We get to see inside Superman's brain for the first time. We get to see what breaks him down and strips him of his emotional, and mental strength. He is breaking down to the stages of grief and he knows that his death is imminent. It's unavoidable and he knows it, so he does everything in his power to contain it and deal with it for as long as possible, up to the very end. In a way this is such a real story and there is actual heart and truth to it. 

3) What changes would you make to adapt this story to another medium?
What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
Changing the medium from the Comic Novel to Film would be, if anything the most popular change of medium I can think about. But pushing it even further, it would be an animated film to help with the appeal of this story I believe. This story I feel needed to push further into the gritty dark place it was trying to draw for us. I would rewrite Superman to be more depressed and would make him fall deeper into his grief. His whole world is about to change and he wont be apart of it so I would think he would be suffering a lot more than he shows in the comics. I want to see the strain on his relationships and I want to see him lose face a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment